Wednesday, November 5, 2008

he said/she said/I say

In the works that I have read, the authors have talked about code-switching as a neccessity in the classroom, how ESL students may feel anxious in the situation and might not speak (therefore not expressing their code, therefore not practicing/analyzing their codes to gain a greater understanding of standard English) and that democracy/advocacy in the classroom creates involvement and interaction from student to active learning.

The gap that still exists is that I want to know if advocacy would help engage ESL students, therefore allowing them to be more active and therefore helping them towards a greater understanding of the rules and uses of standard English.

I think that I will speak with the presenter that we had in the classroom for the Case Study presentation because she seems to be very knowledgeable on the topic. Also, I will be speaking to a JH teacher who will let me know if advocacy assignment would help in her classroom. What does she think and so on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. Yes this question is very relavent to all future english teachers becuae we will all (at some point) be working with ESL students and this question would help us to learn more about, view opinions on whether or not code switching is a good or bad technique to use with ESL students.

2. Yes. The secondary research that you will be collecting seems to be from good sources.

3. I think ESL students are still a big issue in today's schools: how to teach them best, what the best techniques are to use, etc. By researching this question we can gain access into if the code-switching technique is a good idea for these students. Many teachers would benefit from knowing or learning more about such a question.

4. I think the secondary sources you have chosen so far are great.

5. I think you have a great question. You are specific and I am looking forward to seeing how your paper turns out!!! =)